Some facts of historical note:
Architects: Pickett & Son, Cincinnati, OH.
Dedicated and Consecrated in 1868
"Saint Paul Church is said to be one of the most perfect examples
of Gothic Revival architecture in the country.”
"On Sunday last, that beautiful specimen of church architecture,
which the Catholics of this city have erected
under difficulties and in the face of obstacles
that would have discouraged or have been insurmountable
to a less persevering people,
was consecrated to the services of religion,
and henceforth, it will be known as Saint Paul Church.
By the addition of this splendid edifice to our public buildings,
our city has gained its brightest ornament."
(Observer & Reporter, October, 1868)
The impressive oil on canvas 14 Stations of the Cross
were painted in 1884-1885 according to a letter dated 19 January 1924
written to a Mr. J.P. Maloney of Lexington, KY
by a then very aged Bishop Brossart.
Julius Frank, the artist,
was the foremost artist in Munich
and painter to the Court of Munich.
(copy of letter is in parish archives)
Our stained glass windows were commissioned
through the Riordan Stained Glass Company, Cincinnati, OH.
Riordan Stained Glass is the oldest stained glass maker in the USA.
The firm rivaled the great stained glass makers in Munich
and employed the finest artists in Munich.
(this is congruent with the employ of Munich Court Painter Julius Frank)
Riordan rivaled the stained glass manufactured in Munich.
(e.g.: Franz Meyer)
The stained glass windows in the sanctuary
were manufactured by the same company for the parish centennial.
The three windows on the front of the church
facing West Short Street
are original to the church and from the same company;
they were installed with the intent that they would be temporary
and eventually replaced with fine stained glass.
We are a proud member of the BGT
Awarded The Bronze Plaque from BlueGrass Trust for Historic Preservation.
Our Parish House is site of the birthplace of Mary Todd Lincoln.
Our Church, Brossart House and School
are on the National Register of Historic Places
For nearly 150 years we have been the presence of Jesus in downtown Lexington!
Historic Saint Paul Church was built in 1865.